Date: Monday 30 March
UNISON Glasgow homeless service workers to take all out strike action
Seventy workers in Glasgow Council’s Homeless Service will walk out on Tuesday 31 March in a dispute over their pay grade.
The workers are all members of the trade union UNISON and will take all out, indefinite strike action in a dispute over the application of the council’s job evaluation scheme to the role of Homelessness Caseworkers. Three out of every four strikers will be women.
Ian Leech, UNISON Glasgow Social Work Convenor, said:
“These workers have been unfairly treated for years in that their jobs should have been graded the same as other frontline staff in addiction services or older people’s teams. They have been very patient and hoped that the matter would be addressed by the council, indeed over the years some managers have informally said that they agree with the trade union position.
"Our members care about the people who rely on the service which they provide however, they have been left with no other option. All they are looking for is to be treated the same as the other 400 social care staff who do a similar job.”
The workers assess the needs of homeless people and families across Glasgow, organise crucial support and help people to access and maintain emergency, temporary and permanent accommodation. The seventy workers have nearly 3,000 people on their caseloads.
Notes for editors
- The strikers will protest outside the Social Work HQ, 40 John Street on Tuesday 31 March at 12noon. Come for photo opportunity and interviews with the strikers.
- The UNISON density level in the dispute area is over 90%.
- 84% of members voted for strike action on a 64% turnout.
- The members have been taking action short of strike action since late January 2015.
- The workers are on Pay Grade 5 (£21,000 to £24,500). Others doing a similar job are on Pay Grade 6 (£25,500 to £30,000).
For more information contact:
Ian Leech, UNISON Glasgow Branch, 07803 952262 or
Brian Smith, UNISON Glasgow Branch, 07870 914361 or
Branch Office, 0141 552 7069